Tuesday, July 6, 2010

THE KARATE KID 2010

I was unplugging myself from the constant barrage of desolation and discovering courage in the pit of depression while standing ankle-deep in the bog of nostalgia. Our lives are littered with flotsam and jetsam heading straight to knock us off as we perennially engage in the struggles of survival.

Oh well, I had Karate Kid in my mind as something to fill in my hours after my unsolicited schmaltz fades into a blur. I need something to maneuver my silly old self through the terrain of bleak and dismal emptiness that had been knocking me off the past few days.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1155076/

After twin hours of freeing myself from the cares of the world in the dark of the gathering night, the credits of the feel-good Karate Kid (2010) movie finally rolled. Such a nice film.

For fear of spoiling the film for those who still haven't watched, i will just cobble together the though-provoking and inspirational lines i got myself infused.

* You only see with your eyes that is why you are easy to be fooled.

This idea springs in me the famous line of the Little Prince (St. Exupery) "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the naked eye". Nuff said.

* There are no bad students, only bad teachers.

I believe that the teachers in the pureness of their hearts are the most generous creatures here on earth, having the heart to give what they have, if not almost everything, all for the sake of their students. A student, in some ways or another, becomes a mirror of the mentor. I love the depth of relationship portrayed in the film between Mr. Han and Dre, and the transformation of that from being teacher/student to more of a father/son in one of the scenes.

Dre Parker: I get it. You're Yoda and I'm like a Jedi.

* Empty your mind. FOCUS. Your focus needs more focus.

A cluttered mind cannot achieve a great sense of balance, that is, focus. So one needs to control his/her own mental clutter, eliminate the stuff rattling in our head, and concentrate on the center of our interest.

Dre Parker: Be kinda hot if I won this thing, huh, Mr. Han?
Mr. Han: Be kinda hot if you focused.
Dre Parker: Yeah, well, after that.

* Mr. Han: You've already accomplished everything you wanted to. Why do you still want to fight?
Dre Parker: Because win or lose, I don't want to be afraid any more. And I'm still afraid.

This is about courage in conquering ourselves, whether win or lose, so we may emerge better than before.

* Sometimes the most important fights are the ones you avoid.

Happened to me a couple of times, as i ran off the battle field and ended up in the coldest circle of hell. (yep, but still in hell :D)

* Being still and doing nothing are two different things.

* Life will knock us down but we can choose whether or not to get back up.

The film made me laugh, cry, think. With its humor, warmth and theme of friendship and resiliency, it did appeal to me, in ways i could not imagine :)

I'm a sucker for martial arts film. haha.

Jacket on! Jacket off!

HMMMMNNNSSSS
* I am thinking of a habit that could be my training ground for Kung fu. Hmmmnnn.. If old Karate Kid film has wax on, wax off, and the 2010 Karate Kid has jacket on, jacket off, what could probably be mine? Any suggestion?
* Does ice cream in China really taste delicious?
* I love the blue fire Mr. Han used to heal the wounds.

Oooppss. Too much info. Spoiler na ko. hahaha.

0 comments: