Saturday, January 1, 2011

An Online Love Affair

This is so heartwarming. Thanks Jenn. I love you too.

*******************

An Online Love Affair
by Jenn Lamarca on Saturday, January 1, 2011 at 1:07am

Disclaimer: This is my first and last blog for 2010 and this post is basically an incoherent rambling of a geekette on a sugary caffeine high. Please bear with me.

2010 is drawing to a close in a handful of hours. For me, this has been an extremely remarkable year. A year of myriad emotions that remind me of Skittles; some were bright, some were sweet and some were so tart it made you screw your face up and think if you wanted to spit it out.

This blog is for my Beloved Ohana.

.-=**=-.

Aaaah... cyberspace, the last frontier.

I have always had an intense love affair with words, whether it was reading or writing. Back in college, our sociology professor Dr. Josephine Aguilar told us that in one of her studies, she noticed that most people would make friends because they were thrust upon by circumstance and friendships were formed because people were unconsciously drawn together by their innate commonalities and shared experience. To help us determine if this was true or if we can substantiate this claim, she then made us register on an online forum and made us decide on whether the adage "we can choose our friends but not our family" is applicable to the scenario.

Most of my classmates then sort of complained because they had the preconceived notion that message boards were for people who didn't have anything better to do with their life. They equated it with the then popular MIRC; a place where losers can pretend to be whoever they wanted to be because the other person who was reading your post wouldnt be able to know if you were a boy or a girl.

I registered on PinoyExchange.com, a then fledgling-year-old Filipino owned/moderated message board.

This was the start of a decade long (and going strong) love affair with the Interwebs.

PEx is a place that deals with Philippine issues which caters to the Filipino's love for conversation. This is where I found out that YES, you can choose your friends AND your family.

I have been with PEx for 10 years and have posted hundreds of thousands of replies, met a lot of people (some good, some disgusting) and expanded my family. This is where one of my friend's said back in 05.01.07 when I felt sad and depressed for being single for a long time " I don’t rush into falling in love, for love never runs out. Even if they mock me coz I'm single, I just tell them, God is just busy writing the best love story for me… -Gian”

Five years ago, if someone told me that I was going to be married to the most wonderful man in the world, it would have thrown me into a frenzy of thinking that the next guy I lay my eyes on would've been the one. Thankfully, this didn't happen.

Five years ago, I was this crazy law student who didn't sleep because she was too busy with school AND her two jobs; whose only downtime was in the evenings where she was too punch drunk with digesting cases she had to go out of the library and meet up with the wonderfully interesting people she had talked to in PEx

Aileen: you are the (first) sister I never had. Thank you for taking the initiative to know me. You have been with me through my deepest funks to my highest highs. You dont get mad whenever I go crazy and go hide up in my tower, you patiently wait for me to come back and listen as I rant. Who would've thought that we would end up as each other's Matron-Of-Honor? :) Thank You for being such a specially wonderful lady.

Andy: You are the first person in PEx that I became close to. Thank you for being a constant part of my life, a quiet and simple guy who makes everything alright with the right smart sense of humor that you posses.

Precious: I have always felt honor for you chose me to be your (sometimes) confidant. Thank you for being such a lovely lady, ex-colleague and friend.

Chuck: I dont know if you feel this, but you also have been a quiet companion in my life. My confidant and sounding board. You let me pester you even when you're busy. Your intellect and humor and (sometime) jologness makes you one interesting guy.

Juju: Like Chuck, you have been a constant companion in my life where humor has made my life interestingly light. I love spending time with you.

Lois: You are one of the strongest women I know. You never have given up on life even if it hasnt been fair. In my eyes, you are one of the most beautiful women in the world because you are smart, strong and loving. I am honored to be part of your Life.

Aileen/Andy/Chuck/Juju/Precious/Lois: Thank you for letting me be part of your life. There maybe times that I have been an annoying brat, for that I apologize. I truly appreciate the friendship that we share and hope that it lasts for a long time. You guys are my Ohana.

To my other PEx friends... just because you remain unnamed doesn't mean that you do not hold a special place in my Heart. All I can say is that I have been with PEx longer than most people have been in relationships. Thank you for being a part of my life...

.-=**=-.

The internet also plays a big part in my REAL love story. It allowed me and Zedrick to have constant communication even though we were thousands of miles apart.

Zedrick: My Heart, M'anamchara, My Husband... You are everything that I have prayed to God for and more. I love us. Its like what Elizabeth Gilbert said: "People think a soul mate is your perfect fit and that's what everyone wants, but a true soulmate is a mirror, the person that shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life." I have learned alot from you and am still learning. Thank you Love, for bearing with me through my bratty days, for loving my dorky nerdy geekiness. For whenever I am with you, I can be me without fear of judgement.

Ashley: Thank you for being my Mahal's sister and in turn, for being my sister too. We havent seen each other; yet I feel your love through Zedrick. It is an honor for me that a person who I barely know loves me as much as she loves her bestfriend, for the mere fact that I am the wife of your bestfriend.

.-=**=-.

As 2010 ends, I welcome 2011 with arms wide open because I know that with my Ohana with me; I can survive anything, because they support me and I can be whoever I am destined to be because they inspire me.

Happy New Year!

0 comments: